Rae | A view from ASTP

7.18.2005

Welcome

It's far less humid here in cyber world than it is outside. Conclusion: I may just have some lucid thoughts written here, as opposed to the rambling I generally do in real life.




I wonder what life would be like without technology, some times. I guess I'm part of this new generation of punk kids who have always had consoles and computers to play around with. After all, the Nintendo was brought to the US the year I was born. Even my mother, who despises computers (mostly because they break any time she even thinks of touching one), helped my grandfather code COBOL programs as a teen.

My conclusion is that the world would be a lot thinner. And that I'd be somewhat useless.

I was a tomboy when I was younger, but where now the connotation may be something of a nerdy die-hard gamer chick, for me it meant playing football, baseball, and climbing trees (and gods-forbid you try to get me in a dress most of the time). In fact, being a gamer was imposible. I never had a console: my only experience was with arcade games, and occasionally a kid would know a kid and somehow I'd get to go to said known kids house and play some Super Mario Bros. And "computer"? "Computer," what's a "computer"? Finally, I got a second hand Nintendo with about 3 games, which introduced me to technology as we know it today. Fortunately, that wasn't until I was sbout 11, so my metabolism was still pretty good.

But being introduced to gaming and computing when I was just at that age where I might start gaining some sort of skill set threw me on my course of being completely attached to anything technological. My resume reads, "Advanced experience with computers, that's about it" except in more words to make me look better than I really am.

Right now, I have mediocre programming and design skills. Eventually, I'll end up in a job that uses them. Why's that? Because I don't have any other marketable skills. Unfortunately, however, there is an entire generation of kids just like me.

The pounds are adding up from the kids that don't know what to do unless they're in front of a TV or monitor. Anyone up for some excercise?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.



<< Home