Rae | A view from ASTP

7.27.2005

A Fleshed Out Idea

I think I'm pretty set on making this Digital Yearbook idea work (hopefully a beta for 2005-06 with a full launch in Fall 06).

For my time here at CET, that means I want to get a site template done (meta-site, so to speak) and basic organization set up.

Organization:
  • Events
    • Audio
    • Images
    • Video
    • Wiki/blog-type structure that allows members of the campus community to give their view of the event


The interface will be a XHTML/CSS/PHP/MySQL website, but it will be campus interweb access only. The available content will be from the current year only, with an archive available on DVD, possibly available to anyone who wants one, possibly only available through the library, depending on if good 'ol HamTech wants to give the project funding.

The Film Production Guild design will tie into this because one of the biggest events that will utilize this would be the 24 Film Fest. I'd like to be able to use the same video upload script for both it and the digital yearbook.

I will need too much help from certain groups on campus (IT, Student Assembly, etc) to be able to launch the Digital Yearbook without consultation with the campus, but for now the FPG site is my responsibility and I have access to everything I need for it.




What I need: I definitely need to learn some MySQL. I have a pretty good hold on the HTML and CSS I'll need, and mostly on the PHP. I'd like to learn a little more about DHTML, seeing as I know nothing about it, although I don't think I'd implement it.

I'm also going to have to study Wikis, because I think they would be an excellent way to archive a narrative of the events on campus.

A lot of this has to do with my absolute fascination with databases and archiving anything and everything I can. I think that a lot of the Hamilton experience cannot be captured in print, and that this would come a little closer.




Recap - What I'll be doing over the course of the next two weeks:

  • Designing and coding Hamilton's Film Production Guild website.
    • Hosting for student-made films for the 24 Hour Film Fest
    • A database of skills (Jane Doe can Act/Film/Do Lights/Whatever)
    • Meeting minutes
    • News
  • A script that will allow a user to upload a video file complete with Title, Crew, Cast, and other pertinent info into the database
  • Rough draft template for the main Digital YB site


The End.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.



<< Home